Some of my credentials for the committee:
- Director of the DataPortability Project, setting public expectations that people should have the ability to take their data with them from site to site. Our model language is now common in privacy policies.
- Strategy Director, Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium, an NGO supporting small businesses that build personal control over personal data into consumer, healthcare, and business apps.
- Oakland Privacy Working Group policy author, drafting user-centric policy language for consideration by the City of Oakland.
- OpenOakland Product Manager, supporting open data and civic hacking for public participation and engagement.
- Internet Identity Workshop community member, the informal technology organization that gave rise to the modern identity systems used by Google, Facebook, Mozilla, and WordPress.
- Personal control of personal data is more vital in an Internet of Everything world for a good life, a healthy society, a strong economy, a living democracy.
- People have less control of how society defines them, and it’s getting worse.
- Government’s role in redressing imbalances of power is often untapped.